Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spring Awakening

Lately I’ve been dealing with a serious case of the ‘holy bananas its spring and pretty soon I will have to put this white blob of a body in a bathing suit and oh my gosh I don’t own any cute clothes and my hair is full of split ends and all I want to do is lay in bed with booboo and grover and polish off the bag of salt and pepper potato chips I have hidden behind the stack of ‘intellectual’ books that I told myself I would have finished reading by now.’ It’s the annual acknowledgement that a whole year has passed since my last spring awakening, and honestly I have accomplishment maybe 2% of the goals I had set for myself.

Let’s face it folks, I have ZERO self restraint, if the bf wants to eat at SPIN Burger one night, and the next day my coworkers want to go to lunch there…I simply switch up my order and wham bam thank you ma’am, I am full on chowing down back to back burgers and fries (and maybe a Nutella and burn’t marshmellow shake, cuz those things are the bomb.com).

I cannot tell you how many times I have planned to lose those last 30 lbs before my next vacation, or promised my bank account that I would start socking away 25% of every paycheck.

There is always a Round Table coupon that needs to be spent or designer purse on Gilt that needs to be purchased.

It’s just who I am.

Put it this way, today, while running a work errand with my coworker, we realized that I had on one brown shoe and one black shoe. My first instinct was to run and hide! I was mortified…how could I have made such a mistake, I mean, don’t real adults check their shoes before they go to work? Don’t real adults wake up more than 30 minutes before they have to physically be at their desk and get dressed in actual light? With one slip up, it seemed like everything I had felt good about throughout the day slowly melted away, and there I was, faced with my dual hued kitten heels, frizzy hair, spiky legs and smudged eyeliner….the epitome of imperfection and disaster.

And then, a funny thing happened.

She laughed.

Our giggles melted away the disappointment in myself, and I quickly realized how ridiculously I had reacted. I am not perfect, no one is, we all mistakenly eat a jar of pepperoncinis before a date or forget to put on deodorant on every once in a while.

We are humans and I am so thankful for God’s little reminders of that ! 

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. 1. Laughing over your mismatched shoes seriously brightened up my afternoon. {And the cookies we shared didn't hurt either.}
    2. You DO NOT need to lose 30 pounds.
    3. Nutella and burnt marshmellow shake? What? Sounds amazing. I feel like we could make this ourselves.
    4. I don't know about eating them before a first date but I feel like being able to share an entire jar of pepperoncinis with someone is the mark of true love.
    5. I am also thankful for God's reminders that everything isn't so serious. Thanks for letting me laugh with {and, okay, AT} you. I do in purely out of love.

    ReplyDelete