Monday, September 13, 2010

Never Forget

This past Saturday our nation honored the lives lost in the tragedies of September 11th. I can hardly believe that it has been 9 years since that fateful day that so violently shook our country to the core, forcing us all to re-evaluate ourselves through and through. It seems like yesterday, I was running into my parent’s room to alert them, just in time to flick on the tv and watch our world as we know it, literally fall from the sky into mass of carnage and broken hearts.


While time has certainly healed many wounds from that day, I can say that September 11th will probably be the most historical marker for my entire generation. It will be our ‘I remember where I was when…’ moment, and from here on out, any political or social revolution will inevitably be traced to the origins of an event that has forever changed the modern world.

And yet, on the surface, it appears that our nation has moved on from the devastation of that day; we wait in endless security lines at the airport like it has always been that way, we drive past armed guards at our bridges like it is natural, we flick on the morning television no longer wincing for fear that another devastating tragedy has claimed American lives. It is all in the past, and yet the cause of our everyday actions have been mindlessly adapted to our present.

I can say without shame that I too have begun to heal and let go, and the thought of another September 11th anniversary approached me this year with less of a sting and a weakened dread.

Actually, I had something to look forward to this September 11th, for it was the day that my best friend and bonafied prince charming, signed the papers and took the oath to serve and protect our country above all. Gathered on the end of the flight deck of the USS Hornet, the SF skyscape in the background flanked by whipping American flags, I watched Michael in awe of his bravery and dedication to his country and his craft. While family and friends alike looked on, I unsuccessfully struggled to hold back the tears of emotion that this moment conjured up for me, thank goodness for waterproof mascara and eyeliner.

USS Hornet
I look forward to embarking on this journey together, while I never thought my life would involve the United States military, I now cannot imagine my future without the endless possibilities that it will provide for Michael and I. Stay tuned to learn more about where this journey will take us, and remember to continue to pray for our men and women in uniform that have sacrificed so that we may all continue to heal and move on.

(I don’t have any pictures yet, still waiting to get those downloaded. But what I can share with you is that I am thankful that I now have a tangible reason to celebrate such a somber day, and that from now on September 11th will be the start of a whole new future for our lives. )
If you are interested in learning about how you can positively effect the lives and morale of our armed forces serving abroad, click on the USO logo to find out how you can donate and/or volunteer!



Ciao

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. (I feel like I start all of my comments to you with that sentence.) I am so thankful for Michael's service to our country and so excited for the opportunities that await both of you!

    ReplyDelete